The Sorcerer, Ghost Valley

The Sorcerer, Ghost Valley

Wednesday 13 October 2010

3 Peaks CycloCross race

Totally recovered from the race now & have been getting out on the cross bike most days.

Had a great ride up over the Howgills yesterday, whipped on by the fact I thought I was going to be late picking Monty up from school, I'd stashed the tag-a-long behind a wall & picked it up coming off Winder!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the race even if I was cramping after the first mile or so.
Getting back from Kyrgyzstan at 10.30pm the night before didn't help, but I wanted to give it a good go. I felt it was my kind of event - fell running/cycling on & off road


Heading up Ingleborough

But getting cramps after the first mile! I didn't bank on that, normally I can go all day. It was the sitting & inactivity the 3 days before that didn't help, a day travelling out of the mountains in a truck, 5hrs in a mini-bus to Almaty, a long flight to Heathrow and then catching the train north back to the Lakes.

But now I know the course, I'm very inspired to give it a good go next year. I've already chatted to Pat about making sure there's at least a week before the race & getting home from Kyrgyzstan next year!



The race -
It's a mass start on the road at Helwith Bridge heading up towards Horton-in-Ribblesdale, turning left off the road and then shouldering the bike, running up over Ingleborough.
It's a fast downhill descent to Cold Cotes & along the road to Ingleton, then to Chapel-le-Dale. left again & up a track till it steepens to a footpath & shouldering the bike running to the top of Whernside.
I steep descent on the slabs on and off the bike down to Ribble Head and then road racing back to Horton in Ribblesdale.
At Horton-in-Ribblesdale you take another left up a track which again steepens into a footpath again shouldering the bike up to the top of Pen-y-Ghent.


It's a great feeling coming off Pen-y-Ghent back down to Horton-in-Ribblesdale as it's fast & not too technical & you know that it's only 3km more to the finish back at Helwith Bridge.

Fantastic riding in the most amazing scenery. A lot of the fell paths over the top are only open for cyclist during this race which is such a treat.

Get inspired

Ade





No comments:

Post a Comment